Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Restless Sleeper


These days we're in what Penny and I like to refer to as "survival mode". In order to function properly, most humans need a certain amount of uninterrupted sleep. We found this out the hard way. So, to make sure that we can speak in coherent sentences and remember to put our pants on before leaving the house, we needed to take action. Now, Penny sleeps downstairs with Moose Man and I sleep upstairs with Bear. You'd think it would be the opposite, but I swear this means Penny gets more sleep then I do. By far. In order to illustrate what I have to deal with on any given night, I decided to take a picture of Wyatt's position when I arrived in his bedroom last night. Notice the head on one bed, body on the other, completely spread-out positioning. Also, for the record, he was under the covers and in the other bed when I last saw him around 9:30.

1 comment:

rawitten said...

The way kids sleep is hilarious.

FWIW, I highly highly recommend that you transition the kids to their own beds and bedrooms if possible. It means going through a week or two of hell, and losing the intimacy of shared beds. But down the road, both you and the kids get more and better sleep, and the stress on your marriage is less.

This is none of my business, of course, I have no knowledge of your situation other than this brief post, and ultimately every parent has to choose what's best for their family. So take this as just my well-intentioned thoughts for your consideration.

I've seen it done both ways, and almost without exception (in my limited experience) the families that share beds beyond about 2 years of age have many more issues around bed time. More difficulty with baby sitters, difficulty with sleep overs, and putting kids to bed before parents. I've also seen a toll on relationships due to the lost intimacy between the parents.

That's just my unsolicited opinion. You appear to have a great family, so you're doing things right without my help. ;-)